The Annual Public Hunting Permit provides nearly year-round hunting on nearly one million acres of land.
Popular dove hunting areas are offered through this system.
See More Information for Special Reminders, Legal Game, Postcard Hunts, Prohibited Acts and other valuable information.
Coming soon: A new, state-wide interactive locator map of public hunting areas.
Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit - $48
- A valid Texas hunting license along with any required stamp endorsements is required in addition to the APH Permit to participate in hunting opportunities offered through the public hunting program.
Please visit Licenses for more information.
- Hunt white-tailed deer, feral hogs, dove, quail, turkey, waterfowl, rabbit, squirrel and more
- Over 180 hunting areas, including wildlife management areas, state parks and approximately 120 dove and small game areas leased from private landowners
- Youth Only and Youth/Adult hunts for deer, waterfowl, dove, rabbit, squirrel and feral hogs
- Youth under age 17 may access these areas for free with a permitted adult.
- Fishing, camping, hiking, nature watching, photography and equestrian use are also available on these areas
- A $12 Limited Public Use (LPU) Permit provides access to the same areas as the APH at a reduced cost for fishing, hiking, camping, bird watching, picnicking, wildlife viewing and equestrian use
- Any of the TPWD offices, including the headquarters in Austin. Permit holders receive a Map Booklet for Public Hunting Lands listing available areas, facilities, maps, rules, and schedules.
- Any retail hunting and fishing license dealer (such as sporting goods stores)
- The license sales phone line at 1-800-TX-LIC-4U and online here by paying with Visa, Discover or MasterCard.
APH and LPU permits are available at:
Regular Permit Hunts - $20
A Regular Permit is available for certain small game and waterfowl hunts. Regular permits are issued at the hunt area on a first-come first-served basis. A $20 fee is charged for each Regular Permit issued, however, the Regular Permit fee will be waived for minors (under age 17) hunting under the supervision of an authorized adult who possesses a Regular Permit and for persons possessing an Annual Public Hunting Permit. Other than a non-hunting adult who is directly assisting a permitted disabled hunter, no exceptions will be made for family members or other non-permitted guests to accompany the hunter into the hunt area. A valid hunting license and any required stamp endorsements is required to participate in these hunts. MORE
Mentored Hunting Workshops - $25
Select state parks and wildlife management areas will be conducting mentored hunting workshops designed to introduce and educate beginning hunters and their mentors to the hunting experience. These workshops are followed by a hunt on the area. Mentored Hunting Permits (MHP) required for these workshops are offered on a first-come, first-served basis and are only valid for a specific public hunting unit and the corresponding workshop dates. MORE