Note: This item is more than a year old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Dec. 19, 2012
Start the New Year off on the Right Foot!
AUSTIN — With New Year’s Day just around the corner, people everywhere are zeroing in on their new year’s resolutions for 2013. Some will vow to add more exercise into their routines, and others will promise not to stay indoors as much. Start the new year off on the right foot by tackling both those resolutions at once!
On Jan. 1, state parks around Texas will be hosting “First Day Hikes,” an annual event that is held nationwide.
Recent on-site visitor surveys in Texas parks revealed that hiking / trails were the most sought-after amenity by park visitors, and many Texas state parks have added newly built or recently improved hiking and biking trails to meet growing demand.
Create a new family tradition by participating in “First Day Hikes” at a park near you, and together you can start off your year in a new direction.
For more information about “First Day Hikes,” visit http://www.texasstateparks.org/firstdayhikes.
For a list of upcoming events, visit the calendar page at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/calendar/
Parks that are participating in the “First Hikes” event grouped to their nearest metropolitan area:
- First Day Hikes — McKinney Falls State Park
- First Day Hike — Pedernales Falls Tour — Pedernales Falls State Park
- First Day Hike — Nature Trail to Twin Falls — Pedernales Falls State Park
- First Day Hike — Blanco State Park
- First Day Hike — Bastrop State Park
- First Day Hike — Rock On — Inks Lake State Park
- First Day Hike — Lockhart State Park
- First Day Hike — Mother Neff State Park
- First Day Hike — Buescher State Park
- First Day Hike — Brazos Bend State Park
- First Day Hike — Sheldon Lake State Park and Environmental Learning Center
- First Day Hikes — Stephen F. Austin State Park
- First Day Hike — Fort Richardson State Park
- First Day Hike and Geocache — Cooper Lake State Park/South Sulphur Unit
- First Day Hikes — Penitentiary Hollow Wild Walk — Lake Mineral Wells State Park and Trailway
- First Day Hikes — Fort Parker State Park
- First Day Hikes — Lake Whitney State Park
- First Day Hike — Ray Roberts Lake State Park — Isle du Bois Unit
- First Day Hikes — Daingerfield State Park
- First Day Hike — Eisenhower State Park
- First Day Hike — Abilene State Park
- First Day Hike — Martin Creek Lake State Park
- First Day Hike — Lake Brownwood State Park
- First Day Hike — 2nd Annual Stuffed Turkey Hike — Bonham State Park
- 2nd Annual First Day Hike — Lake Arrowhead State Park
- First Day Hikes, Bikes and Runs — Government Canyon State Natural Area
- First Day Hike — Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
- First Day Hike — Old Tunnel State Park
- First Day Hike — Devil’s Sinkhole State Natural Area
- First Day Hike — Palmetto State Park
- First Day Hike on the East Trail — Lost Maples State Natural Area
- First Day Hike — Wyler Aerial Tramway State Park
- First Day Hike — 2nd Annual Peak Fitness Challenge — Franklin Mountains State Park — Tom Mays Unit
- First Day Hike — Davis Mountains State Park
- First Day Hike — Barton Warnock Visitor Center
- First Day Hike — Cinco Tinajas — Big Bend Ranch State Park
- First Day Hike — Fort Leaton State Historic Site
- First Day Hike 2013 — Falcon State Park
- First Day Hike — Birds at Bentsen Walk — Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Plain Text Pages.