North Toledo Bend (WMA)
Phone: (936) 569-8547
1805 E Lufkin
Lufkin, TX 75901
Dates Open: Open year round.
The North Toledo Bend WMA has 3,650 acres and is located in Shelby County, adjacent to Toledo Bend Reservoir. The WMA is managed under a license agreement with the Sabine River Authority of Texas.
The Toledo Bend Reservoir on the Sabine River forms a portion of the boundary between Louisiana and Texas.The lake is formed by the Toledo Bend Dam northeast of Beaumont. The dam was completed in 1969 and and the reservoir is the largest man-made body of water in Texas and the South and the fifth largest in surface acres in the United States. Its rolled earthfill dam has a spillway crest elevation of 145 feet above sea level. With a drainage area of 7,178 square miles, the Toledo Bend Reservoir conserves water for municipal, industrial, agricultural, and recreational purposes and stretches for well over 100 river miles. The lake has been well known for bass fishing.
- Bring your own drinking water.
- Insect repellant is recommended for mosquitoes.
- High heat and humidity in the summer should be taken into consideration when planning a visit.
- There are no restroom facilities.
- The WMA is not wheel-chair accessible.
- Primitive camping is available.